Sunday, May 22, 2016

Ballard Farmer's Market




I finally got to the Ballard Farmer's Market .  It is one of my favorites and I have been wanting to go for weeks now but we have been so busy that it took awhile to work it in to our weekend plans.  The assortment of goods is simply amazing.  Here, just a few shots of my take from the day.  

The $10 market bouquet


One of my big reasons for wanting to get there was to buy some "shrubs" from by far my FAVORITE vendor, Sweet Caroline's Jams and Jellies.  These aren't plants, they are drinking shrubs. (look them up on wiki for a detailed history. It's quite interesting) The flavor combinations are amazing and it was difficult to pick just one, so of course, I bought 3!  Mixed with a little Perrier and ice they are incredibly refreshing.  You can also use them for a mixer with alcohol....more on that later!  The jams also combine fruits and flavors that are unusual.   I'm sure before the summer is over I will have tried them all!

That's right, made with vinegar!  
Colonial Era...Don't you love it!?




I also bought a marionberry lime vanilla jam~ yum!

Do you have a farmer's market nearby?  What's your favorite thing about them? Besides all the produce, flowers, meat and baked goods, it's always fun to see the musicians, the people and of course the dogs!  There were so many dogs at the market today.  That would be a fun post in itself sometime.... 



10 comments:

  1. That stuff looks amazing. I love home made jams. We have farmers markets here but we've only tried it once. Vegetables were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smoked salt, roasted strawberry one is so good I may just eat it all with a spoon!
    You must be so excited for your trip to Flag! Love it there. haven't been in years but we had friends in the area and used to go visit them. Your trail run will be so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally eat a jar full of jam all by myself. They taste amazing.

    We are trying to find hotels right now but they are looking real expensive. Might have to postpone until hotels are more reasonable lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man! I know the feeling....I went down to Portland a couple of weeks ago to visit a friend who was working there and whao! The hotels were ridiculously expensive! I actually waited to go mid-week but tehy went up! ha ha ha! I wonder if it's graduation at NA or something? Hey way to take advatage of the great weather! Your runs sound terrific, except for the 3 am wake ups!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It should be well after graduation, I just think it's gorgeous weather so they increase prices because tourism is up.

    3am ain't so bad, come on now!! The joy of catching those sunrises is well worth the missed sleep. Plus I get a little boost of ego when I'm up putting in a good work out before most people are awake lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you go ahead and roll with that ego boost and think of me when you do it ; I'll still be sleeping! :) have a great Holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No longer we can find an opportunity like this one in my country Indonesia. Farmer markets are nowadays being overtaken by modern ones or even malls. But in rural areas, you can still find some.

    Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that! we are fortunate to have them in several locations in most US cities. They are very popular. I wish I could capture in photos the variety of produce , meats and goods. Next visit I will try to~ Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow almost 3 weeks...cook stuff has to be going on up there lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha, yes! But so much is going on that I'm really busy. The weather has been summer, that's for sure! My son has just moved back in with us as school is over, graduates this weekend! we have a condo we need to sell and a small house that was in the town where he went to college. we've been fitting in some fun though. Will update soon~ Gotta check out your video!

    ReplyDelete