Thursday, September 25, 2014

Trip to the Coast

Late summer, the final week, and we finally got a mini vacation.  My husband, son and I went to Pacific City / Cape Kiwanda Oregon.  Now, I have to admit that I hate the drive down there.  I-5 South from Seattle is a bland trip no matter what they make it look like in movies!  Heavy traffic in Portland prevented a quick stop to see a new friend.  It's a 6 hour drive and almost every time we do it I complain about how we could fly to Hawaii in that time!  But when you arrive?  Well, Pacific City has just what you need, Pelican Pub and Brewery, a coffee shop of course, a surf shop and a stand with super yummy fish tacos. 

It also has some amazing scenery....

My husband did a lot of surfing but I was left ashore....the waves were several feet overhead.  Too formidable for my beginner surf skills.  We did a lot of beach walking and took in the views.  So wonderful!  



sea stack off the beach in Pacific City


the huge dune on Cape Kiwanda

My son and I exploring below Proposal Rock

The curve of beach at Pacific City from  halfway up the dune


8 comments:

  1. Now that is the life right there. I'm not a big beach person, I love to visit but only like staying a few days...BUT...that area looks much different, beautiful and very inviting lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the fish tacos that attract me the most! But yes, very very scenic. a run on the beach perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can anyone say no to that lol. It's been a few years since we have vacationed near a beach and with our new running lifestyle now, I would definitely take advantage of running along the beach if given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss your blog entries Richard! Hope the running is going well. It sure is nice to have cooler weather, which even down your way must be the case? Got races coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I was talking to the wife last night about The Blog. A part of me feels I post for a pat on the back but at the same time some of the stuff I'm doing might actually help people. Not sure.

    Running is going great, and yes copler weather is magical. I have two 20 mile runs under my belt and feel really confident. We have races these next two weekends so it should be really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, two 20 milers! Nice job!

    I know totally how you feel....what is so satisfying about a total stranger following what you post and giving you that "pat on the back"? it is though. I haven't posted much on my blog. I moved a month ago and have been busy. Running is off, I feel like a lump! But yes, I think that blogging gives me a sense of community that I don't actually find around me, and I always hope that what I write might give that to someone else as well. It also helps me to get things down, see a bigger picture of what I'm doing or simply, remember it!
    Good luck to you and the Mrs. with your upcoming races! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely! Hope to update over the weekend....I was sick much of October with whatever viral/cold thing that was going around then ended up with what my doc called "wry neck"! A spasm in my neck muscles...ouch! I spent 5 days in bed ! 5 days! So now I really feel like a lump! November has brought heavy rain and now 10 degree days and a power outage. I may need to go vacation ....in Arizona?

    ReplyDelete