Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mid November....

Well, here it is mid-November, where's the snow?  It's not here.   It's not on the ground. It's not in the forecast, not a flake.  Even all the way out through next week.  There's a chance of rain but the freezing level is going up to 9000 feet!  It's mid-November. 9000 feet?  Come on!

This past week the skies have been crystal clear, but temps have been in the teens and a windstorm left us without power for 24 hrs.  We even dragged out the generator so we could watch a movie on the laptop.  Romantic?  No, not really.  The only upside of clear skies is that the crew working on the new chair lift has had some great days to get cracking on that.  It's not every day you see a new chairlift being built and it's been pretty cool!  I wish I could show you the shiny new towers but the day I hiked up I forgot my camera (duh, right?).  That's okay, I will be able to show you them in action this winter.  In the mean time, here's a picture of the Chinook that was helping the crew place the towers and remove logs from the slope.  It was here in the neighborhood for 3 or 4 days and even flew on the day with 40 mph wind gusts.  It was a lot of fun to watch!




As you can see, some of those logs were really, really big!  That one in the bottom picture in particular was probably hundreds of years old.  Coincidentally, we had just watched the X-Files episode about the loggers ....the ones who went missing...the ones hunted down by insects hatched out of old growth timber?  And Scully and Mulder end up trapped in giant cocoons.....??  Remember??   Well, I believe. :)

6 comments:

  1. Ah I bet it would be really cool to see them out together the lift. Use to snowboard a lot but never thought about how they out that stuff together.

    No snow means more running right lol

    This is the best part of the year for AZ . Cool 40's in the morning and mid 60's during the day. Definitely running season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your temps do sound ideal! Well, no snow is good for running, but last week temps were around 10 with the windchill and 40-50 mph gusts! My husband and I went for a 3 mile run, all downhill and pretty much complained, cursing the wind the whole time. He couldn't find his gloves so ran with his hands in his pockets the whole time, lol! I thought it was pretty fun! Today it's 21....warmer!

      Delete
  2. Hey that is manageable. I could put on ten layers and make it through 10*, try 120*...Even if you wear dry fit clothes that is still hot, nothing you can do. Now the wind, that is a whole different story lol.

    Ha I wouldn't be able to run next to him if his hands were in his pockets the while time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on the heat, you can't do a thing! Besides I wilt like a flower when it hits 85! yeah, I pretty much had the impulse to push him over! (true love!) I need to go buy him new gloves I guess? (again)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure with as often gloves are needed up there, pairs of gloves go missing all the time and get mis matched like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! In fact I have ONE bright yellow mitten in my truck...One! I just started lining them all up to match them. It will last less than a month! I guess as long as you have two you are all set...

      Delete