Thursday, February 5, 2015

Things You Should Know If You Run With Me

Do you have a regular running partner? Do you run with a spouse, a friend, a buddy?  An entire GROUP?  Generally, I run alone.  In fact, on one of my playlists I even have a song that is my "running alone anthem".... No One to Run With Any More.  It's great, but sad, right?  

The Allman Brothers  Give it a listen while I tell my tale....

I used to have regular climbing partners, snowboarding buds, mountain biking madmen and general badasses to get out with and share crazy things we used to do.  But life stuff, joint replacements, a continent between us has made that difficult.  In December, I was lucky enough to have my husband go out running with me a few times.  After only a few minutes on the trail he yelled, "hey! Watch it with that snot!"  And I realized that maybe I have a few bad habits. Maybe if someone runs with me, they should know some things.

July 2012, Safeco Stadium, Refuse to Abuse 5k



As you can see in the picture, I talk.  I talk a lot.  Who knows what I talk about but expect some lengthy dialog, laughter and nonsensical chatter.

I'm SLOW.  Super slow....12 min/mile slow.  On a good day running downhill I can pick it up to a 10.  So if you need a recovery run or just bought a pair of sneakers and have never run in your life, I'm your girl!

I spit.  I spit and farmer blow my nose quite frequently.  I try to be directional on this but sometimes the snot just gets away from me.  I have "exercise induced hypermucosity".  It's a real thing.  I swear! 

I am apt to push, shove, and grab your arm as we run.  No idea what that's about but I do it getting off a chairlift too.  You've been warned!

I carry cash. That obscure pocket with the awkward zipper on your sleeve or butt?  Mine is stuffed with money.   You need a coffee?  Post run beer?  Lunch? A taxi to get away from snot and chatter?  It's on me.

I don't care what you look like.   Are you wearing tattered, smelly, drab running clothes?  Is your hat warm but stupid? Great!  We will be twins!  Sporting new running gear?  Looking like a cover model ?  Got a watch as big as your head that tells you where you are and how fast we aren't running? Cool! Gives me something to talk about....and aspire to!

Run with me and you will be my forever friend.  Some of my best memories involve cycling, running, riding, climbing, not because of the athletic achievements, but because of the fantastic people with whom I've shared those moments.  

So there you have it, a few things you should know if you run with me.  What should people know about running with you?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment