Friday, September 23, 2016

Altra Mid

In case you missed it, I finally found a great shoe!  I am just so happy that I tried these because they are exactly what I've been hoping to find.  They are the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 mid height, neoprene/polartec trail runner.  My goodness, that's a mouthful!  



What do I like about this shoe?  well, everything!  Pretty much anyway... the fit is just like the Lone Peak 2.5 which I also have.  Most guidelines will say go up half a size in Altras and I have tried both the 9 and 9.5 and did go up to the 9.5.  I LOVE the extra toe box room.  If you aren't used to that it may seem sloppy at first but believe me, it's the best thing ever!  The rest of the shoe fits great as well.  I was concerned that the mid height may be annoying but it is fantastic!  Well cushioned so no uncomfortable parts.  The lacing system is great, nice and even and the metal grommets at the ankle make it super easy to snug up.  Yes, I know, I will actually have to tie and untie these shoes!  But the extra couple of minutes for that is well worth it!

Cushioning is fantastic.  it's my favorite thing about Altras. It's like a cloud for your feet. 

Tread is fantastic.  No slipping on anything, wet, dry, gravel, mud, it was all good.

Zero drop....I'm a fan!  I know some people can't stand it but I love it.  

And here is the big, most fantastic thing about these, as a Pacific Northwest runner.....THEY ARE REALLY WATERPROOF! I intentionally ran through puddles and my feet stayed dry!!  The polartec lining also is a big bonus because I will be able to wear these through the winter and still be cozy.  Plus the Gaiter Trap will be uesful for snow.  The mid height also means less debris getting into my shoe and driving me nuts.  Where they debris free?  No.  But oddly, the only time I got little pebbles in the shoe were running on the paved road that connects to my trails.   But I got nowhere near the amount of dirt and plant bits that you would in a regular height shoe.

What I don't like?  Well, let's be honest....the price is staggering.  At $168 retail they are clearly the most expensive running shoe I've purchased to date.  That price makes it prohibitive to stock up with a second pair too.  But, considering what I spend on other types of footwear, winter boots, snowboard boots etc., and the fact that I LOVE them, I just have to go with that.  

Happy Fall!  Have a great weekend~




7 comments:

  1. Wow two posts in the same week, you must love those shoes!!

    168 is a bit steep but I tell everyone that the right running shoes is SUPER important. I use to just buy the cheap sale stuff but once I started running and saw how beneficial good shoes are, I ponied up the money.

    Actually impressed with how much those shoes do for you. Don't need that much performance here in AZ but man they really do offer a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love them as they are perfect for where I live! I ran into a neighbor yesterday who wears Hokas, she saw me coming out of the trail and said, " are those the altra mids? " lol, she is buying a pair!
    The Asics went back. ..after you mentioned the Rock plate it drove me nuts! That was why they were so stiff. They got worse the longer I wore them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that is awesome, I'm sure she will be thanking you once she runs in them.

    I feel bad, I didn't mean to ruin your feelings towards the Asics lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, you did me a favor! I needed a solid reason to return them . And they really felt terrible with more wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of new shoes, check out my new post, my 4yo just got real running shoes lol love her bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Starting to look like fall over here. It was 68° this morning and I had dew on my Windows. Nice running weather is finally upon us lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great!? Favorite time of year for hiking and running!

    ReplyDelete