Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Fall Color

We've had some GORGEOUS fall weather up to this last weekend, then we got slammed with lots of rain.  I think we had a couple of inches on Saturday!  But precipitation is good....that rain will soon be snow!




And then there's fall color of another kind....these new Asics trail shoes!


I finally found a shoe I can run in and that fits relatively well!  Is it a perfect match?  No. But it's close.  It's the Asics 2000-4 Trail running shoe.  I had the road version last year and liked it well enough.  When I  first put this shoe on the big thing I noticed is the lack of toe room.  I think this runs small, as did the road shoe, so I sized up half a size.  However, I have gotten used to shoes like the Altra with great space in the toe box, and while this is long enough, and wide enough, there isn't a lot of space up and down in the toe area and the top of my toe actually rubs on the fabric!  SO annoying.  I think it will loosen up, as will the entire shoe, as it feels a bit stiff all over.  Great heel cushioning, if that's your thing.  I think it could use more forefront cushion.  Though when I started downhill I immediately appreciated the extra cushion in the heels. Awesome tread!  Pretty much bomb proof, no slipping whatsoever.  I ran on everything from grass and forest duff to recently dug up gravel and loose dirt roads.  This however was under dry conditions.  And THAT, is one thing that hurts this pair...when the rain came and the conditions were wet (Hey it's THE NORTHWEST),  my feet were soaked instantly! The fabric has no water resistance at all and in fact seems to soak up water like a sponge.  Not very enjoyable.  The tongue also is a bit short for me....I am one of those weirdos who hates to tie and untie shoes.  I like to get them just right and then put them on with a shoe horn?  So when you go to put these on, the tongue is rather small and doesn't open up enough for me to slide my foot in....again, one of my strange peeves but if you get what I'm saying?  Then you have strange peeves too! 

Overall, this shoe is adequate.  I gave it an 8 when I first put it on but by run's end it had crept up to an 8.75.  They cost me $95 on Road Runner Sports.  meh.  not super thrilled as far as cost to worth for me personally but these days it seems anything under $100 is a score.  

Next up....that pair of neoprene shell Altra Lone Peaks....They are sitting right here awaiting a run up the mountain.   Should I say that I wish it was a rainy day??  


3 comments:

  1. Rock plate killed Asics chance at being my trail running shoes. Lets see what the Altras bring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE rock plates...cookie sheets....but I don't feel them in these Asics at all. Unless that is why the forefront feels so stiff? hmmm.

    ReplyDelete